When we built our house almost 6 years ago, there was running joke in Erin's family that we were the little house on the prarie, because we were so far out here on the west side. Well, we have decided to embrace that title, and have invited livestock into our lives to help us build up that image. We went to the IFA on monday and picked up our very first batch of baby chicks. My neighbors think i am crazy because i am tearing up a good chunk of the backyard to increase the size of our garden , and now i am in the process of building a chicken coop to house our new brood. Let them think what they will, but nobody will be laughing when I start to give away free eggs in about 6 months. Now some of you are probably wondering why I wanted chickens and whether or not it is even legal to own them in the city. Well, I wanted chickens because I would like to be a little more self reliant (hence the larger garden), and i thought it would be good for our kids to learn that food doesn't just come from the shelf at Wal-Mart. Oh, and the kids absolutely love the chicks. They just sit there and watch them eat and drink. They are actually quite entertaining. As for whether they are legal or not, they aren't. At least not yet, but Salt Lake County is in the process of possibly changing the code, and Mayor Caroon is firmly in favor of it, so i just choose to look at is as I am beating everybody to the punch. I am fully confident that it will be legal within about 2 months. Besides, I am getting to the point where I fell like it is my property, I will do with it what I wish. So, you can all laugh at me if you choose to, but just remember if you tease to much, there will be no eggs for you. :)
Some of the new babies
Notice the lone black one. She is a Black Sex-link. We also have some Golden Sex-links and some Rhode Island Reds.
Erin Likes this one, because she thinks it's funny that they sleep standing up
The new coop that I am going to build for them.
Another view of the coop.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Little House on the Prarie
Posted by Nate and Erin at 8:04 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
You guys will be the coolest people out on the prarie! Will any of those little chicks turn into a rooster?
No roosters! There loud, just little egg layers!
Most people just get Marshmellow chicks for Easter.
I think that is such a cool thing for the kids to learn. Way to go! So if I give you praise and glory will I get some yummy eggs????
That is so cool guys!! When I was growing up I helped my neighbors with their chickens and horses... its such a good learning experience for kids. And it teaches them responsibility. And um... I'd love some eggs you know. ;)
That'll be fun for the boys. Learn 'em some responsibility like they did in the olden days.
This seriously cracks me up! I grew up with Chickens in our back yard and fresh eggs. My Dad however did not build such a fancy coop though. You guys are hilarious
Post a Comment