Well, we started with 15 chicks but we lost our first one today. I moved them to the coop last night, and even though i was a little worried they wouldn't make it, they did just fine. What they have trouble handling though is the three boys in the house. I needed to shingle the roof of the coop today, and so i took the chicks out of it and put them in a little pen in the yard so they were'nt bothered by the hammering. Well, the boys wouldn't leave them alone, and amidst the playing Tanner stepped on one. They are such fragile little things, and even the small foot of our seven year old was more than this chick could handle. So, i followed the lead of my cousin and his wife (yes i'm talking about you Chris and Jodie) and made Tanner hold it until it died. I then made him (with my help of course) dig a hole for it in a safe place in the yard and bury it. It was almost more than Tanners tender little heart could take. He is such a sweet and loving boy, and it broke his heart to know that he had accidentely killed one of the chickens. He just cried and cried and cried. Afterwards i held him on my lap and explained to him that sometimes in life we have to learn lessons that are more difficult than others, and that helps us not to make the same mistakes again. I am fairly certain that he will be a LOT more careful around the chicks from now on. It made me cry to watch him kiss it on its head and put it in the hole. However, I am so greatful that he was born with such a kind and loving spirit for everything around him.
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
oh my goodness that made me cry!! tanner is a sweet boy and I can totally see him holding the little chick awww. I really need to take some tips from you guys on those special little moments I would have never thought of what to say to my girls in that kind of situation. Good job, you did great, what awesome parents you two are:)
That is so sad. I am sure Tanner was so upset. He is such a sweet boy. That is a hard lesson to learn, Kylee had to learn it too when her cat Buddy died, its also hard on the parents to see your baby go through that. You handled it so perfect! Good Job. When will we get our eggs?!?!?!?
I'm so glad they survived the night! They are cute little things...
Poor little Tanner... that is a hard lesson to learn, but an important lesson about how fragile life is.
oh the adventures! Tanner is a good kid even though he stepped on a chick :(
Post a Comment